Friday, December 4, 2015

Parts of Speech Review Worksheets

NAME:  ___________________________________________

Interjections Practice
Underline the interjections in the following sentences:
1.        Aww, look at the cute kitten.
2.       I missed the bus.  Oh well.
3.       Oops!  She dropped that expensive dish.
4.       Whoa, you need to slow down.
5.       No, there is no homework tonight.

Verbs Practice
Underline the verbs in the following sentences.
1.       Our work has become harder this year.
2.       Elizabeth looked everywhere for her homework.
3.       This plant looks dead.
4.       Mrs. Jones called the doctor.
5.       Her son is sick.

Fill in a verb for each of the following sentences:

1.       Jane __________________ the cake yesterday.

2.       My muscles __________________ after gardening.

3.       The police man  _____________________ the speeding driver.

4.       The little boy ___________________ in the river.

5.       Northfield __________________ my home.

Adjectives Practice
Underline the verbs in the following sentences.
1.       My ancient grandfather wrote an insightful book about his long time as a cattle rancher.
2.       The woman’s new wool coat sold for fifty dollars at the neighborhood discount store.
3.       The tangy red ketchup on the grilled hamburger dripped on the clean picnic table cloth.
4.       This smelly garbage in my uncle’s car is gross and disgusting.
5.       My amazing essay was read by some appreciative students.


Fill in adjectives for each of the blanks in the sentences below.
1.       My _____________________ book is both ______________  and  ___________________.

2.       The _________________, ____________________ kitten slept on the _______________ blanket.

3.       The ___________________________ weather ruined my ________________________ trip.

4.       My __________________________ sailboat on the _______________________ lake was 

_________________.

5.       The __________________________ student in the _______________________ class studied for the

_______________________ test.

  
Conjunctions Practice
Circle the coordinating conjunctions in the sentences below.

1.       I bought four books, for I love to read.

2.       I have many bookshelves, and I love to fill them with new and used books.

3.       My sister doesn’t read many books, nor does she own as many as I do.

4.       I offered to give her some books, but she didn’t want any.

5.       I will give my extra books to the library, or I might donate them to the school.




Circle the subordinating conjunctions in the following sentences.

1.       Because we bought too many books, our bookshelves are full.

2.       I will give some to you if you ask nicely.

3.       Whenever I get rid of books, I usually feel a little sad.

4.       My house will be cleaner after I get rid of these 20 boxes of books.

5.       Although I try to stay away from book stores, I can’t help it.



Adverbs Practice
Underline the adverbs in the following sentences.

1.       The horse raced speedily around the very crowded racecourse.

2.       The man next to her coughed annoyingly all through the performance today.

3.       Katherine accidentally deleted her files.

4.       We silently watched the amazingly beautiful sunset.

5.       We will all take that infuriatingly difficult test tomorrow.


Fill in adjectives for each of the blanks in the sentences below.

1.       The boy ran ______________________________ 

2.       Jackson  ______________________________  finished his homework.

3.       I  ______________________________  drove to the store.

4.       Corey ______________________________  handed in his essay.

5.       The team  ______________________________   played the game.



Prepositions Practice
Put the prepositional phrases in parentheses and underline the prepositions in the following sentences.

1.       The book of pictures on the shelves is my favorite.


2.       Before lunch I had a meeting of student writers.

3.       The man in the yard threw the ball over the fence.

4.       I ate the cookie with chocolate chips.

5.       She was humming during the lecture about physics.

Fill in prepositions for each of the blanks in the sentences below.

1.       The muffin _____________ the table is mine.

2.       I put the box ___________________ the chair.

3.       The horse ran ___________________________  the road.

4.       My papers fell ____________________  my desk.

5.       She sat ______________________ the fireplace.




Pronouns Practice
Underline the pronouns in the following sentences.

1.       Sally, your mother needs you to call her.

2.       Steve brought his own lunch because he is allergic to most foods.

3.       I have strong opinions, but my sister doesn’t agree with them.

4.       The amazing performance brought the crowd to its feet.

5.       You can tell her because she will keep it a secret.


No comments:

Post a Comment