Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Writing 1 -- Grades are Ready!

 Dear Parents & Students,


I've just finished calculating the grades for the first semester.  Please remember that I am a “tutor,” and these are suggested grades for you as homeschooling families to consider.


Before I send the grades, let me share my thoughts about them.  As I homeschooled, I didn't give my children grades because I felt that grades were far too subjective.  Learning to write well is a process, and I am more concerned that my students stay engaged in the process than I am in the final products.


Letter grades are a funny thing.  For some students, it becomes the only motivation for doing well.  For some, it becomes a measure of their worth as a person or as an academic learner.  I personally don't like these "side effects" of the grading system.  On the other hand, grades can be a valid reward for working hard, being diligent, and understanding the materials.  Incentives and consequences are a part of life; God uses them, too.


When teaching students to be good writers, I give a lot of consideration for growth and improvement. Each student has a starting place; over time I look for him or her to learn the mechanics of grammar, good writing techniques, and analytical thinking skills; they then move on from that original starting place.


For this class, I gave points for attendance, participation, short assignments and longer papers.   I tend to be an "easy grader" and like to see my students encouraged to do their best.  Becoming a good writer is hard work, and too often students are discouraged before they’ve given themselves a chance to succeed.


To find your student’s grade for the semester, go to your GradeSheets and then to the last tab labelled “Reports.”  You will see percentages and grades for each category; the categories are weighted in the following way: 15% for Quick Writes & Misc; 30% for Writing; 28% for Literature; and 27% for Grammar.  After the grades for categories is a weighted percentage and a cumulative percentage (compiled apart from the weighted percentages) and a Suggested Final Grade.


Please contact me if you have any questions.


Blessings,

Tammy Prichard


No comments:

Post a Comment