Saturday, September 12, 2020

Writing 1 -- Homework & Google Classroom

 Greetings!


A couple notes about handing homework, Google Classroom, and the Grades page on Classroom:
  • Students DO NOT need to do an assignment both on paper and in Google Classroom.
  • Most homework assignments can be handed in during class.  
    • If a student hands an assignment in class, they DO NOT need to do anything with the Google Classroom assignment
    • I will mark those assignments as done and return them with a score AFTER I've corrected the paper versions
    • If a student does the assignment on Google Classroom, they DO NOT need to hand in a paper version
  • Some assignments can ONLY be done on Google Classroom (e.g. quizzes, discussion questions)
    • I will designate these assignments as (GC) and include a link to the assignment
    • Some students have handed in homework using the Rocketbook app and uploading it to the Google Classroom assignment.  When they do that, they DO NOT need to hand it in again in class.
  • When I grade some homework on Google Classroom, I use my Samsung tablet
    • I can "write" on the document, and it saves as a pdf and attaches to the assignment, which students will see with their returned work.
    • I'm experimenting to figure out the best way to correct rough drafts.  I've done it with pen and paper for years, but I'm going to do one set with my tablet, and then one set comments in Google Docs.  Students can give feedback about what works best for them.
  • The gradebook for Google Classroom is not the greatest format for communicating with students their scores.  
    • If students see a score but the comment "not turned in," it's because they turned the work in during class.  I have updated the score to match the one on paper.
    • Some students don't like seeing the "Missing" when they know they have turned in their work.  They need to be patient for me to correct the material handed in during class.  
    • PLEASE DON'T TURN IN A BLANK ASSIGNMENT to get rid of the "Missing" designation.  I will take care of that.
    • The best place to check on grades is on your student's personal Gradesheets.  This document will be updated every other week.
I apologize for confusion or challenges with Google Classroom.  Learning new systems always takes a bit of time, and my hope is that over the course of the semester we will all find the benefit of having this online repository for all of our assignments and resources that enables us to not only stay on top of our work (i.e. not lose stuff) and to participate digitally if we can't be face to face.

If you need your link to your Google Gradesheets, please let me know.  

One other tip -- an idea that has been helpful for me:
Since I'm online so much these days, often with multiple tabs open every day, I've started bookmarking and organizing those bookmarks to be more efficient. Students should consider bookmarking their chatclasses.com email, Google Classroom, and their Gradesheets.  Here's a link for how to create bookmarks and how to create folders of bookmarks.  (I have a folder called CHAT Stuff, and when I right click on the folder, all of the tabs open.)

Have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment