Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Literary Love Letters

Below are samples of some student writing when given the assignment:  Write a literary love letter.  It can be about anything that has to do with writing and literature.

Dear Love Letter,
This is to my FANBOY!  You can be a nightmare and wonderful to me.  I think of you wherever I go, even when I'm in the slammer.  Don't get me wrong.  I love grammar, but I think it's time to say goodbye.  I'm just the verb kinda gal.


Dear Commas,
I have a love-hate relationship with you.  You make things so much easier to read, but yet I still never am able to use you correctly.  I hope we can figure things out in our relationship.
Love,
Yours Truly,
A Student

Dear Adjectives,
I love how you express my thoughts.  Making my sentences more exciting.  My writing would be so boring without you.  I don't know what I would do if you weren't in my life.
XOXO,
A Student

Dear Adjectives,
You are the words that describe anything and everything.  From describing my soft blankets to an exhausting run to a freezing shower.  You spice up any sentence and make it more interesting.
Yours,
A Student

The Apostrophe
A symbol to remind you that there's more to see.  
Used to show possession over other objects or people.
Used also for contractions in everyday language
Confusing everybody with the million dollar question over the meaning of life.

Thoughts about writing ...
The phrase "I don't know what to write about" has a very special place in my heart.  Partially because I didn't know what to write about now, but also because in elementary school I always struggled to start papers. 

A Hate Letter to Commas
Oh how I hate commas. Yeah, sure.  They might help at times but also a lot of times they're just annoying little marks on a paper and they always be actin' like they're such a huge deal.  Like, calm down.  Periods are 1000% more important.

Dear Jane Austen,
How I would love to know what it was like being a female author in England.  Dd you face oppression?  Sexism?  What were your ideals?  Moral standings?  How was life cruel to you?  How many of your stories were inspired by true events?  Please write back soon,
Love,
Pride and Prejudice Lover

Dear Grammar,
I love you so much.  You're the best think in the worlds.  You make things so much better.
Love,
A Student

I like punctuation.  It is a great way to express emotion.  Grammar is cool, too.  But I dislike commas a lot because I never know when to use them.

Dear Grammar,
Why do you have to be so hard?  Even if I memorize you on a flashcard.  Worksheet after worksheet every day.  I wish you could go away.  Adjectives, adverbs, and verbs all blur.  I don't like you at all.  I'm sorry I' going to fail.
Sincerely,
Me


Dear Dog Food Company,
This is your biggets eater, Clifford the Big Red Dog.  Ia am writing to you in regards to how much your food has benefitted me.  I mean, 2 bags per meal is a little much, but it's delicious every time.  Thank you for being a loyal supplier of food.  I love it.  I will forever continue to purchase your products.  They are delicious and keep this oversized and primary-colored dog healthy.
Yours,
Clifford

Oh Exclamation points, why do you exits?  You have no reason to exist!  Why are you alive?  Maybe you're just misunderstood.  I don't know.

Oh nouns!  I love that you describe a person, place, or thing.  
The way you make a sentence is just beautiful.  
When I see you on the page, my face just lights up.  
When I use you in a sentence, you just make the sentence make sense.

Dear Exclamation Points,
I love that you show when I am yelling at someone and that I am passionate about something.
Yours,
A Student

Pencils,
They can be intricate or plain
Dark or light
They can make thoughts come alive
they can draw and write
And ease your mistakes
They are brilliant and great
Until they run out of lead

Peace, how I love you
A beautiful gift from God
Peace, you bring joy and love into my life
Peace, you overcome every anxiety
Peace, you are a connection between my heart and the Lord's.

Dear commas,
I really don't know if this is a love or hate letter.  Sometimes you are very helpful, but other times you make me go crazy.  In some sentences, you're pretty helpful, but in others I find you quite useless.  It's hard to know where to put you, and if I've put too many or too few. Although you are difficult, still sometimes you bring clarity and understanding.  Oh commas.  Oh commas.  I just really don't know!

Nouns,
With every sentence I breathe, I speak of you.  You make my sentences flow with ease.  Not a day goes by when I don't think about you.  My every thought is filled with you.
Love,
A Student

Dear "Things,"
I have a love/hate relationship with you.  You are the easiest word to use, but you always give me a -1 point on papers.  Due to your incompatibility in my papers, I spend hours on end trying to somehow replace you. Thankfully, you are very easy to use in my everyday life but don't cooperate in my papers
Warmly,
A Student


Oh Prepositions!  How wonderful you are
Set apart from the rest,
Like a bright shining star
No matter what they say, whether yay or nay
You will always be the subject of my praise

My FANBOYS,
Oh conjunctions, how I love thee.  M FANBOYS, so useful and wonderful to me!  Every sentence I write, you never leave me.  If I don't have you, my sentence can no longer be,
Always,
Your dear Love














No comments:

Post a Comment