Thursday, December 14, 2017

Writing 1 Class Notes -- Week 15 (December 14)

Greetings!

We had a fun final week of the class.  I intentionally had my tests for the class the week before the last week so that the pressure is off and we can have do fun writing/grammar/word/Christmas related activities.  

Our Quick Write this week was participation in and Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest.  Instead of writing, I had the students doing some drawing.  Those who were interested submitted their pictures and we voted on our favorites.  Everyone did a great job.

While they were doing their artwork, I passed back homework, including their tests, and I also taped the title of a Christmas song on their backs, which I will explain later.  After our Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest, I reminded them that all homework needs to be handed in today, and I also talked a little bit about grades.  (My thoughts and practices about how I grade and how students and parents should view them will be the subject of a later e-mail.)  I will take any work until midnight tonight, after that I will be compiling grades, not grading homework.  Best case scenario -- I will have grades out in the next week, but since I got essays in from all of my classes, the grades may not get done until after Christmas.

After we took care of that business, we played our Christmas Jeopardy game.  This game combined information about our book, A Christmas Carol, and some Christmas jokes.  Here's where the song titles on their backs come in.  They could not talk but could only hum the songs in order to find out or let others know what titles they had.  The teams for the game were "Jingle Bells," "O Christmas Tree," "Deck the Halls," and "The Twelve Days of Christmas."  The version of Jeopardy that I used subtracted points for wrong answers, so the scores for the game went up and down.  It was a good review and they did a great job.

At the end of class, we played a Mad Libs game with the poem, "Twas the Night Before Christmas."  We had bowls full of noses and Santa's greasy little belly. 

I've really enjoyed this class; we have a good rapport and the students produced some good work.  I'm looking forward to next semester!

Assignments for Next Week
-- NOTHING!!

Links for this week:
Class Notes

Have a blessed Christmas!
See you next year!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment