Saturday, November 7, 2015

Writing 1 Class Notes -- Week 10 (November 5)

Greetings!

Our class was good this week.  I gave the students two options for the Quick Write.  Firstly, we discussed that it was November 5, Guy Fawkes Day.  They got a little history lesson about King James I and the Gunpowder Plot.  Their other option was to write about National Sandwich Day, which was on November 3.  Most students chose to write about their favorite sandwich.

Our Words of the Day were:
res publica -- Latin, res, "thing," and publica, "of the public" -- a public affair, of or belonging to the state or commonwealth
res non verba -- Latin, res, "thing," non, "not," verba, "words" --  deeds, not words
restaurateur -- French restaurater fr. Latin restaurator, "restorer" -- the owner or manager or a restaurant

I handed back a lot of homework this week, including their rough drafts of their Examples Essays.  When I hand back the rough drafts, I like to go over common errors. I want the students to not only correct the spots that I've marked, but I want them to know why they're making the corrections.  The top ones for this week were contractions, the word "things," removing 1st person, and the Oxford/serial comma. As they revise their essays, I want them to list the first five mistakes on the half sheet that was handed out to them.

We had a good Prepositions Presentation this week.  As I told the class, prepositions are difficult to explain but are a little easier to identify.  We had two videos and some homework.

We are now into our second book, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  Most students are familiar with the story but haven't read the book.  This is one of my favorites, so I hope they enjoy it as much as I do.

Assignments for Next Week
-- Stave One of A Christmas Carol
-- 3 Questions & 4 Vocabulary for Stave One
-- Prepositions Homework
-- Final Draft of the Examples Essay
-- 5 First Errors worksheet

Links this week
Class Notes

Have a great weekend!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment