Saturday, January 31, 2015

Introductory Elements & Commas Worksheet


1.4 – Introductory Elements
·         If a sentence does not being with the subject, it may open with an introductory element that tells when, where, how, or why the main action of the sentence occurs.  Separate that introductory element from the main part of the sentence with a comma. 
·         Use a comma following phrases that begin with if, when, although, because, and similar words.
·         If the introductory element is short, and the sentence cannot be misread if the comma is omitted, you can omit the comma.  Introductory prepositional phrases are not set off by commas unless it is necessary for a clear understanding of the sentences meaning.


EXERCISES
Underline each introductory element and punctuate the sentence with the appropriate commas.  Be careful to look also for other places in the sentence that require commas. (Hint:  Not all sentences have introductory phrases, and some are compound sentences.)


1.      Discovering the book under the chair she went to the den and read until dinner time.
2.      When I couldn’t find the cookies I ate an apple but my brother ate some candy.
3.      Driving home from the party Paul and I got lost.
4.      Feeling sick Debbie complained about going to school and her mother let her stay home.
5.      Before my aunt came from Chicago we bought tickets to the community play because I was in it.
6.      Agnes gets out her skis whenever it snows.
7.      I think I will go out for dinner when Tom finishes his chores.
8.      After they finished their breakfast they took the dog for a walk and I did the dishes.
9.      Because the road was glazed with ice many cars slipped on the highway and ended up in the ditch.

10.  When I looked through the newspaper I couldn’t find the article she told me about, but I had already seen the information online.

No comments:

Post a Comment