Thursday, November 1, 2012

Writing 1 Class Notes -- October 31

Greetings!

Before our Quick Write today, the students got a history lesson.  Yesterday was not only Halloween, but it was Reformation Day.  We discussed Martin Luther and the 95 theses.  We did a word study of "reformation," "rebellion," and "catholic."  To top of the lesson, we watched the "Reformation Polka," a youtube cartoon.

Our Quick Write featured a pair of XXXXXXXXL camouflaged pants that my husband had gotten as a gag gift and a Kermit the Frog hat that I was given.  The students were to write a story centered on these two objects.  

We spent a lot of time discussing the Rough Drafts of the Biography Essays.  As I work through the rough drafts, making comments and corrections, I make a list of common grammar errors.  I think one of the best ways to learn grammar rules is by the mistakes we make. My hope is that this technique helps the material sink in.  The final copies of the essays are due next week.

They handed in their grammar worksheets.  I've also attached these worksheets in case someone is missing them.

We've finished Animal Farm and are starting our next book, Dickens' A Christmas Carol.  I handed out an Introduction and Vocabulary Worksheet. (I've attached these worksheets.) This is a short book, but the language and vocabulary can be challenging.  Feel free to read this book with them.

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Finish the Final Copy of the Biography Essay.
-- Read the Introduction for A Christmas Carol
-- Read Stave One.
-- Choose 5 vocabulary words from the list and write definitions and word origins.

Have a great week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment