Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Writing 1 Class Notes -- October 17

Greetings!

We had a good class today even though we were missing a few students.  For our Quick Write I handed out cards from a game called "Pictureka."  I still don't know the real rules for this game, but they were to choose at least 2 of their cards for a short story.  They were very creative!

I handed back their Final Drafts of their Personal Essays.  They did a great job working over their rough drafts and making corrections and revisions.  In these first rough drafts I did a lot of correcting of grammar mistakes.  In the upcoming essays I will continue to make corrections and suggestions, but I will also put troublesome sections in brackets for them to fix on their own.

Our current writing assignment is a Biographical Essay.  I checked with them about the Pre-Writing part of the assignment.  They were to brainstorm, outline, and do any initial research.  A reminder:  these essays are to have a thesis.  In other words, they are to state some opinion or take a stand about the person about whom they are choosing to write.

We discussed the Character Sketches they wrote for Animal Farm.  This was a great discussion, and they had some pretty insightful comments.  I love the way that they are learning to think about literature.  Next week we will have a Final Exam which they will help write.  I want each of them to bring 3 questions about the book that we'll use for an exam.

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Bring 3 "test" questions for the final next week.
-- Write the Biographical Essay rough draft.

Have a great week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment