Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Writing 1 Class Notes -- May 8

Greetings!

We're done!  This has been a great group of students and I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to teach them.

Even on the last day, we had a Quick Write.  I asked the students to be a bit reflective about their involvement in the class this year.  They answered these two questions: 1)List 3 things you've learned in Writing 1 this year; and 2)Tell how you've improved in Writing 1 this year.  I had each student share something.  In addition to some funny comments, I heard statements about essay writing, literary analysis, and grammar points.  I feel confident that we've all learned some important "stuff" this year.

For the next part of our class, each student took a turn sharing some poetry they had chosen.  They don't love poetry, but I think they're developing a greater appreciation for those metered lines that rhyme and have deeper meanings.

The last section of the class was an unusual, and a bit unconventional, "final exam."  We played a Bingo game in which I gave clues; the answers on their cards were from our literature and writing discussions.  The Bingo prizes were books that I had gotten from the "Great Northfield Book Raid."  ($4.00/ bag)  

I have almost have all of the grades compiled.  A few students have handed in more assignments that need to be figured into their totals.  I'll have grades out to you next week.  

Have a great summer!  I hope to see many of these great students again next year!
Tammy Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment